Tagged: barrel fill
April 18, 2017 at 1:08 pm #784
As I mentioned at last nights meeting I’d be up for doing a club barrel fill. I will go get the barrel and those that want to contribute 5 gallons of wort can help fill it. First pull will be in about 6 months. Let me know if you want in (first to commit are in up to 53 gallons). Recipe is open for discussion, I’m thinking imperial stout. Would prefer the first run through not have bugs. To give time for you to primary and allow time to figure out recipe let’s shoot for fill day of May 20th 2017.
April 19, 2017 at 5:40 pm #785
I’m in… Maybe we could bring them to the meeting on the 15th and decide if any beers won’t go into the barrel? I have a recipe suggestion I could post but if anyone else has one we could collaborate…
April 24, 2017 at 10:21 pm #789
We are in for at least one 5 gal batch as well!
April 28, 2017 at 8:50 am #799
My system runs 10-12 Gal; which is what I’d be willing to contribute.
April 28, 2017 at 9:15 am #800
I think we are getting close to having enough interested. Melcher said he’s in too. Who did I miss?
Derek – 10
Tony – 5 or 10?
Andrew – 5 or 10?
Austin – 10
Matt – 5 or 10?
Bart said he has a barrel stand to spare. Tony, you came up with a recipe?
May 6, 2017 at 9:11 pm #801
I’m in if you still have room. I could do 5 or 10 gal.
May 9, 2017 at 2:49 pm #803
Here is a recipe I have brewed before for the barrel fill
I am in for 5 gallons D!
Style: Imperial Stout
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
Bitterness (IBU): 64.7
Color (SRM): 49.2
12.00 lb Maris Otter Malt, 56.5%
2.00 lb Dark DME, 9.4%
2.00 lb Flaked Oats, 9.4%
1.50 lb Munich (German), 7.1%
1.00 lb Midnight Wheat, 4.7%
1.00 lb Crystal 60L, 4.7%
1.00 lb Milk Sugar, 4.7%, boil for 0 min
0.75 lb Roasted Barley, 3.5%
1.00 oz Columbus (AA 14.9%, Pellet) 60 min, 36.1 IBU
1.00 oz Magnum (AA 11.8%, Pellet) 60 min, 28.6 IBU
American Ale yeast, 2.0 unit(s), Yeast US 05
Optional – 2 oz cocoa nibs milled with grains
Mash at 155F
Boil 75-90min depending on gravity/mash/boil volume.
Hops at 60 min to acheive 60-65 IBU
Lactose and DME add at 10 min
Chill to pitch temp.
Pitch 2 packs in a 24 hr 2L starter into 5.5gallons wort
Ferment at 62-66F for 10-14 days
- This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Tony Schubert.
May 12, 2017 at 1:19 pm #805
Tony, that recipe looks pretty good. What’s your timeline? I’m up for 5 or 10 if you have room. Thanks.
May 16, 2017 at 11:36 am #813
June 24th is the barrel fill day at my place. 1531 68th st. Windsor Heights. Noon if that works for everyone. Derek, Tony, Franas, Austin, Stu, Matt, and Pazek are who I have listed so far providing at least 5 gallons. Feel free to make 10. I will likely try to shoot for 20 to fill up to the top. The more the merrier so let me know if I missed anyone who wants to join in.
June 6, 2017 at 10:56 am #828
I’ve contacted several distilleries as well as cooperage’s to get options and pricing on. I’m still waiting to hear from a couple places. I just thought I’d update you guys so that you know I’m actively working on this.
June 6, 2017 at 11:29 am #829
I actually heard back from the rest since I posted half an hour ago. It looks like $140 plus freight is the best I could find. They estimated the freight to be $200, but did ask two things, do we have a forklift (I assume to get it off the truck) and will we be shipping to a residential address?
The barrels arrive daily, freshly emptied from several different distilleries in Kentucky. These are standard 53 Gallon bourbon barrels.
June 8, 2017 at 6:24 pm #832
We’re not buying a barrel for this are we?
I’ve got extras if it comes down to that or paying 200 bones for shipping.
No disrespect to your work Mr. Rice
June 8, 2017 at 6:31 pm #833
We want a freshly dumped Bourbon Barrel. The club may be able to chip in for the shipping if we vote on it.
June 8, 2017 at 9:36 pm #834
I’d be up for a 5 gallon addition if there is still room
June 9, 2017 at 8:09 am #835
Still room. Start brewing!
June 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm #836
In the fermenter! I’m in a little light at 1.104, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.
I’ve never done a beer this big before. Should I oxygenate again tomorrow?
June 10, 2017 at 4:36 pm #837
Awesome! Shouldn’t be necessary on the o2. More important that you pitched a big pitch and have something to hold that temp on the low end…
June 10, 2017 at 4:43 pm #838
First time using my fermwrap from coolzone. And did starter yesterday. 65f a good temp?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.