Club barrel fill

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Derek Day Derek Day 1 month ago.

• Author
    Derek Day
    Derek Day
    Keymaster

As I mentioned at last nights meeting I’d be up for doing a club barrel fill. I will go get the barrel and those that want to contribute 5 gallons of wort can help fill it. First pull will be in about 6 months. Let me know if you want in (first to commit are in up to 53 gallons). Recipe is open for discussion, I’m thinking imperial stout. Would prefer the first run through not have bugs. To give time for you to primary and allow time to figure out recipe let’s shoot for fill day of May 20th 2017.

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

I’m in… Maybe we could bring them to the meeting on the 15th and decide if any beers won’t go into the barrel? I have a recipe suggestion I could post but if anyone else has one we could collaborate…

Andrew Frana
    Andrew Frana
    Participant

We are in for at least one 5 gal batch as well!

AUSTIN STACEY
    AUSTIN STACEY
    Keymaster

I’m in!
    My system runs 10-12 Gal; which is what I’d be willing to contribute.

Derek Day
    Derek Day
    Keymaster

I think we are getting close to having enough interested. Melcher said he’s in too. Who did I miss?

Derek – 10
    Tony – 5 or 10?
    Andrew – 5 or 10?
    Austin – 10
    Matt – 5 or 10?

Bart said he has a barrel stand to spare. Tony, you came up with a recipe?

John Paszek
    John Paszek
    Participant

I’m in if you still have room. I could do 5 or 10 gal.

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

Here is a recipe I have brewed before for the barrel fill
    I am in for 5 gallons D!

Style: Imperial Stout
    Batch size: 5.5 gal
    Boil volume: 7.5 gal
    OG: 1.114
    FG: 1.028
    Bitterness (IBU): 64.7
    Color (SRM): 49.2
    ABV: 11.2%

Grain/Sugars:

12.00 lb Maris Otter Malt, 56.5%
    2.00 lb Dark DME, 9.4%
    2.00 lb Flaked Oats, 9.4%
    1.50 lb Munich (German), 7.1%
    1.00 lb Midnight Wheat, 4.7%
    1.00 lb Crystal 60L, 4.7%
    1.00 lb Milk Sugar, 4.7%, boil for 0 min
    0.75 lb Roasted Barley, 3.5%

Hops:

1.00 oz Columbus (AA 14.9%, Pellet) 60 min, 36.1 IBU
    1.00 oz Magnum (AA 11.8%, Pellet) 60 min, 28.6 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

American Ale yeast, 2.0 unit(s), Yeast US 05

Recipe Notes:

Optional – 2 oz cocoa nibs milled with grains
    Mash at 155F
    Boil 75-90min depending on gravity/mash/boil volume.
    Hops at 60 min to acheive 60-65 IBU
    Lactose and DME add at 10 min
    Chill to pitch temp.
    Pitch 2 packs in a 24 hr 2L starter into 5.5gallons wort
    Ferment at 62-66F for 10-14 days

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Tony Schubert Tony Schubert.
    John Paszek
    John Paszek
    Participant

Tony, that recipe looks pretty good. What’s your timeline? I’m up for 5 or 10 if you have room. Thanks.

Derek Day
    Derek Day
    Keymaster

June 24th is the barrel fill day at my place. 1531 68th st. Windsor Heights. Noon if that works for everyone. Derek, Tony, Franas, Austin, Stu, Matt, and Pazek are who I have listed so far providing at least 5 gallons. Feel free to make 10. I will likely try to shoot for 20 to fill up to the top. The more the merrier so let me know if I missed anyone who wants to join in.

Zack Rice
    Zack Rice
    Keymaster

I’ve contacted several distilleries as well as cooperage’s to get options and pricing on. I’m still waiting to hear from a couple places. I just thought I’d update you guys so that you know I’m actively working on this.

Zack Rice
    Zack Rice
    Keymaster

I actually heard back from the rest since I posted half an hour ago. It looks like $140 plus freight is the best I could find. They estimated the freight to be $200, but did ask two things, do we have a forklift (I assume to get it off the truck) and will we be shipping to a residential address?

The barrels arrive daily, freshly emptied from several different distilleries in Kentucky. These are standard 53 Gallon bourbon barrels.

AUSTIN STACEY
    AUSTIN STACEY
    Keymaster

Whoa WHoa

We’re not buying a barrel for this are we?
    I’ve got extras if it comes down to that or paying 200 bones for shipping.

No disrespect to your work Mr. Rice

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

We want a freshly dumped Bourbon Barrel. The club may be able to chip in for the shipping if we vote on it.

Michael McCallister
    Michael McCallister
    Participant

I’d be up for a 5 gallon addition if there is still room

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

Still room. Start brewing!

Michael McCallister
    Michael McCallister
    Participant

In the fermenter! I’m in a little light at 1.104, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.
    I’ve never done a beer this big before. Should I oxygenate again tomorrow?

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

Awesome! Shouldn’t be necessary on the o2. More important that you pitched a big pitch and have something to hold that temp on the low end…

Michael McCallister
    Michael McCallister
    Participant

First time using my fermwrap from coolzone. And did starter yesterday. 65f a good temp?

Drew Templeton
    Drew Templeton
    Participant

Curious if anyone has looked into this guy at all for obtaining a barrel. I see he constantly has new batches of barrels coming through (I keep an eye on them for some bar furniture uses), just not sure how fresh they are:

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/mad/d/whiskey-and-wine-barrels/6224884238.html

Tony Schubert
    Tony Schubert
    Keymaster

Derek buys his barrels from that guy. It is an option. To me, I would rather pay double for a barrel that was freshly dumped. Michael McCallister talked with John from Confluence and he could add a barrel from Cedar Ridge for us to an order for 200

Drew Templeton
    Drew Templeton
    Participant

That sounds promising

Aaron Reif
    Aaron Reif
    Participant

I wish John from Confluence could get his hands on a Heaven Hill’s barrel! Those are so good!!!

I’m brewing mine this weekend. Still using the recipe from your post on May 9, 2017 right Tony?

Derek Day
    Derek Day
    Keymaster

I have 3 heaven hill barrels, 2 of which are awesome. Cedar Ridge and Miss. River are also both great and local. Cody Road Bourbon barrel would be nice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.